KORONADAL CITY, South Cotabato Apr. 8 (PIA) - South Cotabato's second confirmed case for coronavirus disease (COVID-19), identified as PH3268, is now in stable condition, discharged from hospital confinement and has since remained in strict home isolation, Dr. Rogelio Aturdido Jr., provincial health officer, annouced Monday.
"PH 3268 is a 56-year-old male, a resident of a municipality in South Cotabato, who had history of travel to Davao City," Dr. Aturdido said during the COVID-19 presser at the Provincial Capitol here.
The patient was among those exposed to the virus during the March 9-13 derby at the New Matina Gallera in Davao City.
PH 3268 experienced symptoms of respiratory infection on March 16 and was subjected to home quarantine while being treated by a family doctor. He was admitted to a hospital on March 27, he added.
"He was discharged in good and improved condition on April 5 and has since continued strict home quarantine. Another specimen will be taken from him on April 20 for repeat testing for coronavirus," Aturdido sid.
Tracing of the persons that have come in contact with PH3268 was done by the Banga Municipal Health Office and the local government Unit. None of his family members and other close contacts, have so far exhibited any flu-like symptoms.
Besides PH 3268, South Cotabato Integrated Provincial Health Office had identified, traced, and monitored another individual who was suspected of exposure at the Davao City derby. Dr. Aturdido said that person and the persons he had come in contact with have not exhibited any signs of respiratory illness. A third person was also named but the IPHO had established that this individual did not actually go to Davao City. Both have already completed mandatory 14-day home quarantine.
"Although we have two positive cases, South Cotabato still does not have documented local transmission of COVID-19. However, we appeal to all South Cotabatenos let us be more strict in practicing physical distancing," Dr. Aturdido said, emphasizing that the coronavirus exposure at the Matina Gallera was aggravated because people were shouting in a congested area.
Dr. Cleofe Tejada, medical officer of DOH XI, reported during a press conference on Monday that 6 of Davao Region's 11 recorded deaths from COVID-19 were connected with the cockfight event in Matina. (DED-PIA-XII)